Saturday, October 1, 2011

Orpheus Looked, and the problem of How I hate German.

I'm finding it particularly hard to stay focused on the study of my German lately.
I know that learning a language should come to me more easily being as I am majoring in the study of my mother tongue, but I hate learning it. I don't even want to go to class lately. Apparently my other German-studying friends are having similar problems.

Being the poetry editor for the Open Field, However, is going pretty well. I am able to get my own work done for English, and get writing in... every once and a while.

Since this is my first post on this particular blog, I figured I'd post a poem I just wrote titled "Orpheus Looked".



Orpheus Looked

We are children tasting these
legs
crimson folds the creases
uniform, crisp at the seams
undulating mechanical precision
open
and humming

told before that
savory scarlet
is harlots’ food.

screaming
she sparks from broken clacking teeth.
sanity’s traveler shattered
hermit undermined by beauty

and then there is silence
always, and longing.
eyes wandering all the vicious curves
and their potential to pick
eat and chew over red sin
always in silence

predetermined distance
between my hand and your face
wine bottles riled and ready
on our headboards instead
of who we claim to be
innocence hiding
behind blind portrayal

distance
distance me for modern models
friend, your space placates them
quite nicely I realize how
there is only room for
hollow protowomen.

distance
my bedroom of meshed screen
is a screaming black window
open at your back
please retract our roads
parted but like folklore you’re
gone.




written not specifically for my 408 class, but used in it. pretty happy with how it came out.
anyway, homework time.

No comments:

Post a Comment