And I still love it.
My poem journal is currently scattered with quotes from poems I have read from it in the past couple of days. Here are a few that particularly resonated with me:
"conjures by its spell
Eurydice, the alley-cat of Hell."
"The sounds of singing and the sounds of Hell
Become a swarm of angry orange flies
and naked Orpheus, moon-shriveled, dies
and rises leaving lost Eurydice
His heart falling up toward humanity
Howling and half-awake"
"Now the heart sinks back to the blood
and the day starts
Then the blood asks,
"who was that lover
that thrashed you around last night?"
and the heart can't answer.
- A Night in Four Parts, pg. 16-18
"he began looking at faces
wondering if all of hell were without music"
" Later he would remember all of those dead voices
and call them Eurydice"
- Orpheus in Hell, Pg. 18 of "My Vocab"
" you want to web the rivers of the world.
you want to glue the tides together with yourself.
you look innocent-
water wouldn't melt in your mouth
I looked and saw him weep a honey tear.
I, Orpheus, had raised a water god
that wept a honey tear."
- Orpheus after Eurydice, pg. 19
(Because I have this odd obsession with Orpheus....)
But in all of what I have re-read so far, "One Night Stand" is by far my favorite. Yesterday I wrote a poem that I tried to construct like he did...
(same syllables per line, no more "I"s or "Me"s than he used...)
and I really like it.
The original can be found here, http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/181889
and I really hope that you take the time to read it. Because it is so fantastic.
but here's my re-write. I am still going through the major arcana of the tarot deck, and I think that this card fits, so I used it. :)
The Lovers
(or perpetual one
night stand)
Listen, you flame-haired darkness
I opened my life that night
offered you the souls
of friends and on sad-eyed girl
of similar likeness.
her name,
for the record, is Persephone.
I can remember pretending
That your red top pulsed like a red heart. that
your laughing conversation and warmth
could finally hold me after all this long
dissatisfaction.
It would make
sense for Hades to
have red hair.
I woke to find your love of art
was masquerading as a sad love of
living frames smoldering.
No comments:
Post a Comment