I first encountered menstrual cups while working at a summer camp. Then in college.
It seemed everywhere I went, I met young women like myself who were making the switch to menstrual cups as an alternative to tampons or pads.
I'm sure that you've heard the horror stories about tampons: that they cause Toxic Shock Syndrome, that they cause micro tears in the vagina which not only leads to infection but also tss and other nasties. They also are bleached! From anyone who has heard the stories about kids getting drunk off of vodka-soaked tampons... you should know that the body really soaks chemicals up in these areas. Yes, tampons are made that do not have environmentally unfriendly applicators and bleach and chemicals in them... but still, the risk of Toxic Shock System and a world filled with bloody tampons is real.
While reuseable pads are a great idea, I just am not keen on pads to begin with. Aside from the fact that they feel terrible, pads just aren't fun. I remember in eighth grade we went to a water park and my friend would not go down any of the rides with us. When I asked her why, she said it was because she had a pad on. I told her that she could borrow a tampon from me, but she refused.
to each her own! I wasn't going to force it, but the idea of not being able to do things because I am bleeding sucks.
But tampons, themselves, are gross. I remember our cats used to get into the trash when we were teenagers in order to snag these bloody treasures and carry them around the house. My mother being legally blind and the kids at school and after-school activities... my father and uncle were usually the ones to find the spoils of their trash crusades. Ick. They pile up in the trash, they smell, etc... they just aren't nice.
Then, after years of waiting, I finally got a cup. The KEEPER.
I love it now, but at first I hated it. Here's why:
The Pain! THE HORROR!
I got my first cup while on my period. I tried to insert it while out, in a public bathroom. The fold that they show you how to use in the directions is the "C Fold", which is exactly how it sounds. I looked at it, and my vagina withered. I was like "I know, vag, it looks terrible. But you can do it! I believe in you!"
It didn't do it.
I tried to insert the Keeper in the C fold method, and my vagina was like "nope nope NOPE" and basically tensed up with the cup halfway in. This was a problem, as one half of the lip was inside of me and the other half was outside. Now, what a cup is meant to do is vacuum to the inside of you and collect all of your blood. Sooooo... what the cup did in this position was try to open up in the tiny opening of my vagina (as opposed to the stretchy inside) and it did so... and also suctioned to my labia.
the result was me going "OUCH!" inside of the target bathroom
(For the record, you can't buy them at target, that was just where I was at the time...)
Don't Get Scared. Youtube that shit.
needless to say, I was discouraged and actually pissed that I spent so much money on a cup and I couldn't even get it in.
but I didn't give up, and I am so glad I didn't.
I went on youtube and watched multiple videos on how to insert and love your menstrual cup. What I found is the following:
1. Always use the punchdown method. I don't even know why they recommend the c fold for first time users. The punchdown method makes it really hard for the cup to open up before it is inside of you, and it also makes it so that it is the size of a tampon... much easier to get in!
2. Don't believe people who say that you only have to change it once a day. It might be for you that your period is very light and this might be the case. However, for me, it is not the case... and I absolutely ruined a pair of underwear the first time I wore my cup for more than a few hours on one of my heavy days. The great thing about the cup is you will learn what your cycles are like... but until you do, be on the safe side and change it every few hours like a tampon on your heavy days.
3. It can be messy. A lot of people explain putting it in and taking it out like it is no big deal. Sometimes it can be. Always make sure you are over a toilet when you are taking it out. If you are squeamish about making noise, don't do it in a public toilet... because there is some noise. And if you are freaked out by blood DO NOT use a cup... because you will pass out.
4. Don't clip the tip if you can help it. People say it helps to do this, but it can be really painful. The tip is rounded and soft, and when you cut it you get sharper edges. I had to sandpaper mine when I did that.
5. Everyone's experience is different because all vaginas are different! While what I am saying may help some people, it may not help others. Your best bet is to do the research and don't give up!
A menstrual cup is an investment. It costs anywhere from $10 online to $40 in health food stores. But once you get into it, you really like it. It is a relief to not have to spend $5 a month on tampons... and the keeper is around whenever I need it!
Overall, I think a cup is worth it. give it a go!
And for those who want more info on what the Keeper looks like, sounds like, feels like, how to do the punch down, etc., check out this vlog post:
check out parts 1 & 2 for the full rundown!
-D

No comments:
Post a Comment